Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Bomb Has Finally Dropped!



Today our long wait is over! U2's new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb has dropped. I have been listening to it for about a week now, thanks to U2.com previewing the tracks to us. In this day and age where digital music is so readily available, it was hard to wait until a legal version came out. I am frankly too afraid to use any of the file sharing programs anymore, simply because I don't want my computer riddled with unwanted spyware programs. Plus, most of the tracks are fakes.

Last month when Vertigo was unleashed on the airwaves, it only took a couple of listens to fall in love with this track. It is so raw and a lot of fun to listen to. My wife really likes the track too, which is a bonus.

The second track, Miracle Drug, is one of my favorites on the disc. In classic U2 style, it is mellow for a while and then the Edge just explodes by the end of the song. I am really looking forward to hearing this song in concert.

Track number 3 is Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. Like the previous track, it takes a little while to warm up, but then it rocks. They did a great job performing this song on SNL. This song was written by Bono for his father as he sat by his side in the hospital as he was dieing and performed at his funeral. It is a powerful and sad song.

Love and Peace or Else is alright. Definitely not one of my favorites. It's a pretty hard edged song that is preachy. In that respect, it is very old school U2. This song is growing on me though.

I am not too sure what City of Blinding Lights is about, but I really like it. It sounds like Bono is struggling with his fame, but I could be way off here. It is another upbeat track with a lot of great Edge riffs and piano.

All Because of You is a great track as well.

A Man and A Woman is not the great musically, but lyrically it is great. Bono sings about staying faithful to his wife. "I could never take a chance of losing love to find romance."

I have heard negativity towards Crumbs From Your Table because Bono is preaching about help to third world countries. "Where you live should not decide Whether you live or whether you die." I personally love this song. It has a great sound to it. And what's wrong with wanting a world in which everyone is better off. At least Bono practices what he preaches.

One Step Closer is another song Bono wrote for his dad. It is a slower song that sounds a lot like Grace musically. It's not one of my favorite tracks.

Original of the Species was written to his 4 children. It talks about seeing his kids grow up to fast. He wants to give them everything except for the one thing that they want. I really love this song.

YahWeh is kind of poppy sounding. It's another song that is taking time to grow on me. This is another song that I am not quite sure what it's about. The star of this song is The Edge, like so much of the rest of the album.

Overall, this is a very solid album and one I suspect will be considered one of thier best. It's difficult to rank it at this present time because it is so fresh. At first listen, it is probably going to be in my top 5 U2 albums.

No comments: