Friday, November 19, 2004

Achtung Baby: U2's Most Solid Album



I have a hard time not ranking this album #1. It is so solid throughout the entire album. What’s more is that my favorite tracks (Ultraviolet and Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses) are not even the popular ones.

This is the album where I got to experience my first U2 concert. I camped out overnight at Tower Records to buy tickets for the October 30, 1992 Outside Broadcast show at Dodger Stadium. That show was freaking awesome. It was my first secular concert and it blew me away. I hit a homerun on my first concert experience. The multimedia and set were mind blowing. I mean, they had the cars from the One video hanging from wires on cranes. Public Enemy and The Sugarcubes opened for them. The Sugarcubes were pissed that no one was getting up for them playing and broke up shortly after the concert. It was cool to see Bjork though. I still have a bumper sticker that they gave to us as we drove into the parking lot. That was the first time I ever was offered drugs too. Crazy stuff. As we drove into the parking lot we had guys selling T-shirts and shrooms.

At first, I did not like this album because it did not sound like U2. But as I listened to it over and over and over again, I appreciated how powerful the album was. From top to bottom and front to back, this album rocks. U2 should have just added this CD as a bonus disc to their Best of 1990 to 2000 because this is their best work.

No comments: