Monday, November 22, 2004

All That We Hoped It'd Be



U2 closed out the 20th Century with a bang. All That You Can't Leave Behind became their 4th Masterpiece. I would rank it third behind The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. War was their first masterpiece in 1983.

I loved this album from day one, but it became so much more powerful Post 9/11, as it became sort of the anthem for America after the attacks. The Askew's and I picked up this album at midnight, Halloween morning at The Virgin Megastore at The Block in Orange. We couldn't wait to get out the car and listen to our new disc. Needless to say, it did not disappoint.

The album starts with Beautiful Day, which is one of the best of the album. It is a sentimental favorite because Alissa and I walked down the aisle as man and wife to this song. (You knew I had to incorporate U2 into my wedding somehow.) I am not a huge fan of Stuck In A Moment, although the video is sweet. The acoustic version is better though. Elevation was another great song. This video rocked as well. Come to think of it, all the videos for this album were great. Walk On is probably my third favorite U2 song. The single version with the Hallelujahs is even better. I really love Kite as well. The second half of the album is not as strong, but the first half more than makes up for it.

I got the best U2 experiences of my life courtesy of this album and Elevation Tour. I got to see them in concert 4 times and also saw them perform at The Grammy's. I saw them once in San Diego in the stands, twice in Anaheim inside of the heart (see picture above), and once in Las Vegas Post 9/11. The experience inside the heart will be one I will never forget. To be right on stage watching the greatest band in the world do what they do best is indescribable. The first night Craig and I were in the heart and the second time I watched it with my sister. I don't think that I will ever be able to have a better concert experience than I did with those 2 shows. However, the Post 9/11 show in Las Vegas was a more powerful show. Watching the names of victims scrolling through the sky during One and Walk On was moving. It was also great to see No Doubt open for them rather than PJ Harvey. Plus, it was sweet to hang out at the Blackjack table until 3:00 am with Chris afterwards.


No comments: