Monday, June 13, 2005

Softball

My church started up a softball team in the Ladera Ranch city league. I missed our first game due to Poker night at Nick's last weekend, but played this week. I hadn't swung a bat or thrown a ball in years before getting out there. I am the starting catcher and batted in the middle of the order at number 6. In the first inning during my first at bat I smoked a single down the third base line and eventually scored. I am pretty sure I got an RBI on the play as well. In the second inning I hit a single between third and short. I scored during that inning as well. In my last 3 at bats I grounded our, popped out, and struck out. In my third at bat I bruised my palm by hitting the ball on a bad part of the bat. The rest of the game my palm was stinging. I had some nice defensive plays as well. I caught a pop up behind the plate during the second or third inning to stop the bleeding. The first couple inning we both scored a ton. After 3, we were down 21-12. Somehow we were able to come back to take a 22-21 lead going into the bottom of the sixth. They proceeded to load the bases with no outs and we figured we were screwed. The next batter struck out. The next batter hit a sharp grounder to short and he fired a strike to me at home for the second out. Finally, we escaped the inning when the last batter popped out to end the game. I had forgotten how much fun it was to be involved in organized sports. I was constantly reminded of that the rest of the weekend too as my body hated me. My quads were killing me because I was stupid and decided to squat down the whole first inning. The rest of my body ached as well, but I expect it to get easier as the season goes on. For now, I am batting .400, with 2 runs scored, and a few RBIs.

No comments: