Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Contender


When I first saw all of the ads for The Contender, I really couldn't care less. I already watch enough TV, so I didn't want to get into another show. Well, I was over at my parent's house on Monday evening and my dad was watching Hardball with Chris Matthews. Towards the end of the show, he had on Mark Burnett and Sugar Ray Leonard. They started talking about the show and I got intrigued. It turns out that this finished filming 6 months ago. At the finale of the show, there will be a live title match. Since the show was filmed, one of the contenders committed suicide. He has some problems with his girlfriend and it apparently had nothing to do with the show. Regardless, that added a little extra incentive to see what this show was all about. The music for the show was composed by Hans Zimmer who did the score for The Gladiator. It definitely pumps you up while you are watching it. So, after getting home I added The Contender to my TiVo. I checked it out yesterday and was hooked. I was literally on the edge of my seat towards the end of the show.

Here is the premise. 16 boxers have come to a training facility in LA to get a chance at a title fight. They all live together and train together. Each show, there is a challenge where the East competes against the West. The winning team gets to choose which of their boxers gets to fight this week and get to choose who their opponent is going to be. So, you figure the winning team will pick the weakest fighter from the opposing team. Not this week. Alfonso Gomez from the West wanted to fight the East's best fighter, Peter Manfredo Jr. Peter was ranked #3 in his class with a 21-0 record. He figured that he could catch him off guard and that he would underestimate him. He also figured that in order to win this whole thing, he is going to have to beat him anyway. Well, he comes out and beats him. It was freaking amazing. If I don't have a vested interest in an athlete or a team, I root for the underdog. So I was on the edge of my seat during the entire match. I would definitely check it out if you like sports at all!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Last night's episode was almost as good as the first one. I am definitely going to enjot this series.

Hutch said...

Same here. I didn't really care about it cause I'm not big into boxing. My dad showed me a repeat of one on Friday night (whichever one had them put together the puzzle). I have a feeling I'm going to be hooked on this one too. I can't imagine how bad my tv watching would be if we had cable or even decent reception.

Anonymous said...

The show is over now and i watched every single episode i loved them all. I'v also seen the conteder re-match, I think Gomez should of won the contender he had the biggest heart and was a great fighter