Monday, February 28, 2005

77th Oscars



There were very few surprises at the Oscars last night. I correctly picked all of the major awards except one. I felt that Martin Scorsese should have won Best Director. Client mentioned that it only took him 36 days to make Million Dollar Baby. The Aviator was a much grander and more difficult movie to make. Both were excellent films though, so I can't be too upset. Chris Rock was pretty good. My wife didn't care for him though. I loved his jab on Michael Moore. He should have done Super Size Me since he had done enough research on that. I heard an interesting tidbit on the way to work this morning. The guy who sang the snippet of his Oscar winning song last night had no idea that Antonio Banderas was going to be singing it. They wouldn't let him sing it himself, so he had to sing it during his acceptance speech. It was bittersweet for him. I think Hillary Swank gave the best speech of the night. Morgan Freeman's was great too. Really humble and to the point. Jamie Foxx's speech was a little too staged for me. He has been crying about his grandma on every talkshow leading up to the Oscars, so everyone was expecting him to cry. In the past, it seemed genuine, but last night it seemed like he was faking it. Not that he doesn't miss his Grandma. He just needed to fake the emotions. As always, I was very happy to have it on TiVo. I got to fast forward the boring speeches and drawn out honorary awards. At least we don't have those lame dance routines anymore.

No comments: