Friday, July 22, 2005

We got to hold her!



Alissa and I were able to hold our daughter for the first time yesterday. It was amazing to have her lying on our chest. She is no longer on any breathing devices and is taking mom’s milk. They are increasing the amount she receives everyday. Alissa was able to hold her first. The nurse placed Emma skin to skin on Alissa’s chest and she only took a minute to adjust. All of her vitals indicated that she liked being out of the incubator and on mommy’s chest. After about 20 minutes, Alissa asked the nurse to let me hold her. She wasn’t sure how long she would tolerate being out of the incubator so she didn’t want for me to miss my chance. As it turned out, Emma really liked being out. She cried for about a minute after being put on my chest, but then did great. I ended up holding her for an hour. I have to say it was one of the best hours of my life. To feel her move and hear her breathe made it all real. It has been a difficult road and it is still going to be, but it is all worth it.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Yeah! We are so happy for you two. How exciting. Your entire family will continue to be in our prayers.