Saturday, July 16, 2005

More Info

Now that I have had a little time to process everything, I thought I would write a little more. I don't know how long Alissa was in surgery for, but it seemed like forever. It was a long several minutes as we sat behind the blue curtain. It was maybe 5 or 7 minutes total until we heard that Emma was out. They lowered the curtain for just a second for us to see her and then took her to a table to work on her. There were at least 10 people in there working. It was quite amazing. She is definitely in good hands. After she was all cleaned up I got to follow her up to the NICU and got an introduction. I spent a few minutes in there, but it was almost shift change, so I needed to leave. My good friend Nick Askew drove in from Riverside as soon as he got the call this morning. He was there as I walked out of the operating room. He was the first person to see her besides Alissa and I. We went downstairs for breakfast as we waited for me to get to go back in the NICU and while Alissa was in the recovery room. We had a great talk and I am so blessed that he was able to be there with me. We have been through so much in our lives together and it was fitting for him to be there. It is something I will never forget.

Emma is now only needing 22% oxygen as opposed to 100% when she first went to the NICU. Besides that she is doing great. The nurse made her a little princess sign to hang over her bed. Hopefully Alissa will be well enough this evening to visit our daughter. So far Grandma, Grandpa, and aunt Karen have been in to visit her. We have had a few other visitors as well. It has been a great and tiring day so far.

More to come....

No comments: